The DWF Brussels office provides our UK and international clients with a central hub to access EU law support across various practice areas. Currently focussed on Competition and Regulatory work, the Brussels team has particular expertise advising clients from multiple sectors, including the DWF focussed sector groups in Central and Local Government, Food, Retail & Hospitality, Technology & Communications, Energy & Industrials, and Transport.
The office is led by Partner and Head of EU & Competition Jonathan Branton, alongside Director Brona Heenan. Jonathan has spent over ten years practising in Brussels and is independently recognised as a leading EU/Competition practitioner. Brona has been based in Brussels for nearly 20 years and has outstanding experience in EU and Competition matters, having represented numerous parties in European Commission investigations as well as dealing with National Competition Authorities. The office is also supported by Head of Retail, Food and Hospitality, Hilary Ross and widely recognised expert in EU Regulatory matters.
Expertise within the Brussels team centres on:
- Competition - including restrictive trade agreements or concerted practices, abuse of a dominant position, merger control and State aid.
- Funding - including EU structural and R&D funds, such as ESIF, ERDF and H2020.
- Regulatory and Single Market - including public procurement and other single market legislation in multiple sectors.
- Trade - including EU trade defence measures such as anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard measures, andrelated customs measures such as classification, origin and other trade controls.
- Brexit – including Implications for UK Competition Law.
Our dedicated team of lawyers from different European jurisdictions are experts in their field, with extensive experience of a broad range of topics. By combining this technical expertise with a commercial approach to complex legal issues, our advice is backed up by comprehensive data, know-how and support.