In accordance with Emirates News Agency (WAM), the Government of the UAE has made an announcement for the temporary suspension of all visa issuances (except diplomatic visas) commencing 17 March 2020.
Our employment law experts have summarised the key points:
- Based on the information issued by WAM this decision shall not apply to holders of valid visas including residents of the UAE.
- These measures do not affect renewals of expired visas for individuals located in the UAE.
- The above measures include the issuance of visa upon arrival entry permits.
- Persons with a new visa application in process (excluding renewals) will most likely be affected. However, it is important to check with your employer and the relevant ministries concerned regarding your application(s).
- Employers seeking to hire new employees should be aware that new visa applications may not be processed (especially for applicants residing outside of the UAE).
- Employers that have extended offer letters and are unable to honour them (as a consequence of the visa issuance suspension decision), are advised to seek legal advice prior to making any assumptions or decisions regarding the status of such offer letters.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact one of our experts.