Job Code: 23205/LG
Practice Area: IT
Recruitment Partner: Lindsey George
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
Main function of job
Reporting to the firm’s CTO, as Head of IT Operations you will be expected to own and lead the IT infrastructure and support strategy for DWF and provide leadership on all matters relating to Information Technology and Telecommunications, supporting and enabling the Firm to achieve continued and sustainable growth with full accountability for major business decisions.
The role is a senior position within the Firm with responsibility for at least; service desk, site services and infrastructure which will cover front and back office including client facing services. A number of services are outsourced to specialist contractors with the remainder supported by directly employed staff. Commercially oriented solution finding which means an open and opportunistic mind particularly in the field of managed services, outsourcing and cloud computing to deliver international services.
- Provide professional, appropriate, cost effective and efficient services to customers and stakeholders in a rapidly evolving environment.
- To work across the Firm with key stakeholders to capture and understand their requirements, including both technical and non-technical business units.
- To make strategic recommendations to the Partnership to maintain or enhance current service standards and advise on technology related matters across all locations.
- To devise, own, and maintain the strategic plan and associated budgets for IT and Telephony services.
- As a member of the Executive Team chaired by the CTO, contribute to service excellence beyond the IT Directorate by recommending and integrating best practice / approach.
- To ensure that the IT Directorate is professionally managed in line with strategic goals and the Firm’s culture and procedures including performance management, appraisals, salary reviews, and professional development.
- Working with the CTO, develop and implement the platform technology strategy for the firm. Convert the strategy into packages of work which are delivered with success using the team and external providers.
- Maintain a commercial and outcomes focussed approach which will encompass different models such as managed services, outsourcing, cloud and on-prem solutions.
- Harness technology to enhance the firm’s service offering, ensuring that the methodologies and systems are in place to keep up to date with new developments in all areas. This would include service delivery on an international basic and accommodating a growing agile and home worker base.
- Ensure that all technology related purchases meet all governance requirements as well as complying with the technology strategy and meet the needs of the business.
- Embed a strategic approach across the Firm to the collaboration and management of 3rd party vendors that supply technology / infrastructure solutions and services to the Firm, driving best practice, service standards, and the appropriate balance of insourced and outsourced solutions.
- Demonstrate a clear and positive contribution to designated projects ensuring the effective and successful delivery of the Firm’s IT strategy and the streamlining of business process through technology platforms.
- Ensure that the technology team provides highly responsive, professional and pragmatic advice and support to empower improvements and drive excellence in service delivery to meet any potential change in business demand and need.
- Build effective partnerships to ensure that the technology team is recognised as an integral business resource which adds value by understanding strategic and operational priorities and contributes positively to improved service delivery, the achievement of the firm’s objectives, and cultural indicators and values.
- Develop innovative solutions which are practical, credible, and commercially viable and reflect external best practice (trends / platforms) to inform product and service development.
- Ensure that the Firm’s technology infrastructure is aligned to business, regulatory and client priorities, ensuring fit for purpose and demonstrable return on investment.
- Working with the Head of Information Security, ensure the on-going security and integrity of all the firm’s technology and communications platforms.
- As an active and effective member of the central service teams, liaise with other members on all matters regarding management of the firm and the development and promotion of the firm’s objectives and activities.
- Contribute actively to the development of the Firm, working at all levels across the organisation and with key stakeholders to maximise available resources and opportunities for joint initiatives to ensure the delivery of high quality services.
- Contribute to the compilation of the annual business plan, technology budget, setting and monitoring objectives as appropriate.
- Contribute proactively and creatively to business and service reviews, strategic business development and policy formulation, with responsibility for implementing strategies designed to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Ensure that all activities are carried out to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism in accordance with the requirements of relevant regulators and in accordance with partnerships, relevant legislation, statutory requirements and best practice.
Leadership and Staff Management
- Lead and promote behavioural excellence, Firm values, and a positive working environment by proactively creating, building and sustaining open and collaborative relationships.
- Provide clear and inspirational leadership and effective performance management to develop and maximise individual, team and organisational capabilities.
- Through line management, ensure that services provided are in accordance with agreed policies and the parameters set by the business plan.
- Agree objectives with team members and regularly review their performance to ensure that services are properly planned, performance targets met, policies implemented and proactively seek solutions where necessary.
- Ensure that the training needs of team members are met within the context of the annual learning and development plan and that talent is identified and managed appropriately.
- Ensure that all activities in designated areas of responsibility are managed in accordance with best practice, with appropriate strategies, policies and monitoring in place in order to manage and minimise risk and maximise the use of resources.
- Assess the level and degree of suitability and risk at the application and client relationship level.
- Monitor and regularly report on the key indicators of designated areas of operational performance and take appropriate action.
- Responsible for the management of relevant budgets and compliance with financial procedures.
- Ensure compliance with employment law, equal opportunity policy, health and safety regulations and regulatory requirements at all times.
- Delivery of the annual plan and budget to the CTO.
- Completion of the annual objective setting and salary review.
- Contribute in the monthly senior management team meetings.
- Ensure monthly finances are reconciled.
- Conduct 1-2-1’s on a regular basis with direct reports ensure the highest levels of welfare and professional development is enjoyed.
- Degree educated and ideally member of relevant profession institution.
- Experience of working with the leadership (Boards, Committees) of an organisation to set and deliver a platform technology strategy and both formulating and contributing to corporate business planning.
- Extensive knowledge of IT Project management and implementation with a proven track record of leading and contributing to project activity and delivery in an international setting.
- Experience of network and infrastructure design, development and management with a clear business and solutions focus.
- Experience of key supplier and partner selection and engagement and management including managing contract and outsourcing arrangements.
- Experience of the oversight of service desk management.
- Experience of designing and managing the communications infrastructure for an organisation in a multi-site environment with an agile / mobile workforce.
- Experience of helping to secure and manage a suite of business applications to support the needs of the business.
- Understands cloud/hosted services and recognises their relative strengths, weakness and applicability.
- Proven strategic management experience in a people focused organisation.
- Experience of developing effective strategies, policies and processes to support organisational development, and clear focus on the principles and application of performance management.
- Knowledge and experience of working in partnership (LLP) with internal and external stakeholders to deliver improved services and performance.
- Excellent literacy and numerical skills in order to produce effective business plans, strategic documents, reports and statistical information.
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving and negotiating skills, with the ability to provide practical and creative solutions.
- Promoter of creativity and innovation, with a drive for customer-focused solutions / delivery ensuring Client / Stakeholder needs are met.
- A skilled and confident communicator, mediator and leader, with the ability to influence and motivate others in the achievement of strategic goals and create commonality of purpose and a collegiate approach. Polished, credible and presentable as working with clients will be required.
- Executive-level mind-set with the ability to influence commercial decision making and make sound decisions based on a combination of analysis, personal experience, and professional judgement.
- The intellectual and commercial dexterity to succeed in a rapidly evolving environment and a robust mind-set to handle highly challenging scenarios.
- The ability to assess and integrate broader commercial, operational, financial and business factors into technical decision making.
- Proactive and flexible in approach, with a strong team ethos and the ability to inspire and challenge others in a multi-site environment.
- Commitment to embedding and promoting a strong performance management and professional development culture.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks and work to business critical deadlines, working across multiple locations (including non-UK) outside the normal working day to meet deadlines and deliver the strategic needs of the Firm.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles2016 to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.
To apply, please click 'apply now' and provide the job reference number 23205/LG.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Lindsey George on Lindsey.George@dwf.law.