Job Code: 27057/SC
Practice Area: Finance
Recruitment Partner: Sarah Curran
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
Revenue Control form part of the Working Capital team based in Manchester.
Main function of job
This role is key to ensure high standards of financial management expertise across all clients in a service line. We require a creative strong leader who is performance driven & can excite & inspire others.
The successful candidate will operate as a business partner with senior service line management and help to develop a strong culture of financial awareness, commerciality and accountability whilst maintaining independence and objectivity through being a member of the Finance team. It is a forward thinking role that searches for improvement in all aspects of working capital management.
a. Responsible to: Revenue Control & Billing Manager
b. Liaison with: Contact and liaison with employees at all levels within DWF
- Day to day leadership responsibilities of FMA team
- Manage performance, personal development, coaching, counselling, issue resolution and training of individuals within the team
- Monitor objectives and deliverables of FMA roles within the service line
- Review structure and balance of teams within the Service Lines and provide recommendations to the Revenue Control & Billing Manger. Support with recruitment needs
- Motivate and inspire team members to achieve their full potential
Maximise Revenue Predictability
- Regular, meaningful and effective review and challenge of FMA portfolio knowledge.
- Surface and identify areas of current or future financial risk by utilising commercial awareness and historical knowledge.
- Minimise avoidable material write off surprises and reduce exposure by enabling FMAs to proactively manage and challenge of project recovery. Be a point of escalation for further challenge and guidance.
- Analyse the issues at hand and address the material risks.
- Ownership of WIP valuation for the service line, ensuring standardised ways of valuation, and time recording and rate structures
- Ownership of the unbilled disbursement provision ensuring the service is adequately provided using judgement, experience and information from your FMA team.
- Utilise commercial awareness of your portfolio and service line to influence and improve how we engage with our clients.
- Review internal processes to ensure they meet both business and finance needs.
- Communicate key trends and potential roadblocks across your portfolio for stakeholder visibility.
- Full ownership of sales forecasting and gap analysis
Minimise WIP Days and Aged WIP, including unbilled disbursements
- Understand current position and undertake regular trend analysis. Focus on key problem areas to develop and drive working capital initiatives that suit the needs of the business and achieve long term success.
- Educate and advise your team to drive best practice when engaging with internal clients.
- Understand master service agreements for all key clients within your portfolio.
- Identify training needs, influence training material, coordinate and deliver.
- Ensure your team deliver an excellent billing service to your service line, SLA’s are adhered to and automation solutions are constantly challenged and delivered.
- Ownership of WIP day, aged WIP and disbursement targets
Process & Escalation Consistency / Improvement
- Initiate process improvements across your service line considering consistency across sub service lines whilst understanding the nuances of the different areas.
- Demonstrate a positive and solution driven mind set
- Make an impact through your involvement in additional ad hoc projects.
- Drive increased data quality within your team to identify areas of concern and challenge within the business
Understand the bigger picture
- Monitor the use of the Working Capital team; build relationships within the Finance leadership team to enhance performance.
- Display commercial awareness and demonstrate understanding of the key drivers behind realisation and WIP days. Utilise this knowledge to promote increased efficiencies and better working capital management.
- Exhibit thorough understanding of key financial metrics and how these impact our cash flow and management accounts.
- Understand what a good pipeline looks like. Challenge Partners on material opportunities to maximise revenue.
- Proven track record of team leadership in a client driven environment; with a track record in financial management and controls
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to manage, coach and motivate teams
- Excellent communicator – both written and oral; with the ability to deliver effective training sessions and present at management meetings
- Confident explaining complex issues to Partners and Fee earners
- Robust, resilient, calm under pressure
- Proactive, organised and self-sufficient working style with ability to prioritise and multitask by considering risk, importance and level of urgency
- Customer focused and responsive with good commercial acumen / judgement
- Able to express their opinions on issues, with a proven ability to challenge and adherence to policies
- Demonstrate project management experience / skills
- Strong team player with ability to build strong relationships with Partners/Engagement Managers and other key stakeholders
- Strong IT skills including advanced use of Excel, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles2016 to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.
To apply, please click 'apply now' and provide the job reference number 27057/SC.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Sarah Curran on Sarah.Curran@dwf.law.