Job Code: 17274/CB
Practice Area: Professional Indemnity
Recruitment Partner: Claire Bowden
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
The Healthcare Litigation team are seeking a Solicitor to become a key member of a vibrant, growing department. This interesting and varied role will involve advising insurers, insureds, defence organisations and medical professionals in the full spectrum of healthcare litigation, and will include claims, regulatory, inquest, criminal, disciplinary and other advisory work
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, niche team, led by Tracy Sell-Peters. The team benefits from having achieved success for, and been instructed by, a large range of clients, which brings with it a unique variety of work. So, for example, as well as professional indemnity defence work, we have acted for a number of Royal Colleges, Faculties and healthcare regulators in defending various challenges. The team draws on opportunities to act for DWF’s wide client base, while keeping its sights firmly set on continuing to win new business in this rapidly evolving, most interesting area.
For the right candidate, the role offers excellent opportunities for development based on performance and to contribute substantively to the growth of the team’s presence in the market.
Primary functions: To demonstrate technical and commercial expertise and the ability to deliver results within required time frames in order to provide the highest service level to external clients whilst demonstrating and communicating a clear understanding of healthcare insurance business drivers/needs/changes.
- Achieve time recording targets split between chargeable and investment time in any one financial year.
- Achieve individual financial targets in line with sales plan.
- Understand client requirements and manage cases in line with service level agreements and best practice.
- Analyse risk and further develop sound judgement enabling the justification of decisions to clients.
- Prioritise work effectively and maximise efficiency in working practices.
- Understand individual role in the context of the practice group and pro-actively seek to contribute to increased efficiency in developing a caseload appropriate to level of technical, legal knowledge.
- Build good, lasting working relationships internally and externally in order to develop business networks and create a solid understanding of client needs and the Firm’s overall strategy.
- Develop increased levels of technical and commercial knowledge via training or supervised working practices.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The successful candidate will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the changing role within the Firm and the overall business objectives of the Firm
Experience and Attributes
We are looking for someone with a depth of experience in defendant healthcare litigation (both claims and regulatory), to include work before the General Medical Council and the General Dental Council.
Experience of Judicial Review and Professional Standards Authority challenges would be beneficial, as would advocacy experience.
Applications from candidates who have had experience of being instructed by both the medical defence organisations and insurers are welcomed.
Attributes that we are looking for include
- A depth of experience in advising on the defence of healthcare claims;
- Strong technical ability, to include a thorough grasp of principles, case law and topics;
- Thoroughness and attention to detail;
- Motivation and a demonstrable work ethic;
- Confidence, resilience and tenacity;
- Commercial savvy, a sense of humour, and an ability to work well in a team environment;
- An ability to work pro-actively and demonstrate initiative without micro direction, albeit with appropriate support and mentoring, and under an appropriate level of supervision;
- Strong organisational skills;
- An ability to write well, showing strong insight and commerciality;
- A track record in contributing articles and playing an active part in seminars;
- Experience in business development, including having played a part in the winning of new business.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles2016 to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.
To apply, please click 'apply now' and provide the job reference number 17274/CB
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Claire Bowden on Claire.Bowden@dwf.law