Job Code: 24247/SH
Practice Area: Employment, Pensions & Regulatory
Recruitment Partner: Sam Houghton
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
The national DWF Employment team, led by Andrew Chamberlain, is looking for a talented lawyer with at least four years relevant post qualification experience to join the team in Manchester.
Our Insured Claims Team is based on our Manchester office. This team is a dedicated group of fee earners who act on the instruction of the insurer in respect of employment claims where the client has legal expenses insurance. The team currently comprises 7 paralegals in addition to the Manager but the work is growing as is the team. We are recruiting for the role of Manager. This role would lead on dealing with the most complex of these claims and managing the case load for the team, supervising others to effectively act on the remainder. The candidate would be required to act as the primary Employment Team liaison with the insurers, to ensure that appropriate management information is provided and cases are managed appropriately, within the terms of the client's insurance policy and our agreement with the insurers.
As a large part of the work carried out by the team is process driven, the successful candidate would be expected to continually review the processes to introduce incremental improvements as required. This is an expanding area of the business and so there will be an opportunity for a candidate with business development skills to work with the employment partners to create an individually branded volume Tribunal offering in order to develop a strong market proposition and to grow the team.
In addition to the relevant technical skills and experience candidates should be able to demonstrate a drive to succeed, an enthusiasm to engage with clients and the ability to manage a team of paralegals. It is important that the successful candidate has the ability to work as part of a team and provide supervision to others in addition to being confident working under his/her own initiative.
The ideal candidate will have extensive tribunal experience, including some advocacy experience (to at least preliminary hearing level). Experience of managing cases under legal expenses insurance or similar funding arrangements would be an advantage.
The national employment team operates across the UK on a full range of strategic and operational people issues including contracts, TUPE, restrictive covenants, industrial disputes, immigration, people change projects, discrimination, equality and diversity, absence and performance management, disciplinary matters, settlement agreements, terminations, IT and data security, recruitment, retirement or being taken to an employment tribunal.
Main function of job: To demonstrate technical and commercial expertise, the ability to deliver results within required time frames and the ability to supervise a team of paralegals in order to provide the highest service level to external clients.
a. Responsible to: Employment Partners
b. Liaison with: Other Partners, Fee-earners and Business Support teams across the practice groups at DWF, current and future Clients
c. Supervise: a team of paralegals on a day to day basis
- Manage a team of paralegals including day to day supervision of cases and line management responsibility.
- Understand client requirements and manage cases in line with service level agreements and best practice, demonstrably applying technical/professional knowledge and expertise to provide clear, accurate and commercial direction to clients.
- Effectively prioritise, delegate and supervise to maximise efficiency and maintain quality whilst minimising risk.
- Reliably display sound technical and professional judgement including the ability to analyse risk and justify decisions to clients internally and externally.
- Demonstrate DWF Values through behaviour.
- Consistently provide an excellent level of service to internal and external clients.
- Build working relationships internally and externally in order to develop business networks, support growth and create a solid understanding of the Firm’s strategy, sectors, products, service lines and opportunities for growth/referrals.
- Prioritise work effectively to maximise efficiency in working practices and proactively support innovation and improvement through continual review of processes.
- Achieve time recording targets split between chargeable and investment time in any one financial year.
- Contribute to team financial performance (sales, recovery rate, chargeable hours, lock up and disbursements) in line with team business plan.
- Understand individual role in the context of the Practice Area/Practice Group and pro-actively seek to contribute to increased efficiency in developing a case load appropriate to level of technical, legal knowledge.
- Raise individual profile and that of DWF LLP through coverage in the legal press and DWF promotional material.
- Develop increased levels of technical and commercial knowledge via training or supervised working practices.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles2016 to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.