Job Code: 28625/SH
Practice Area: Corporate & Commercial
Recruitment Partner: Sam Houghton
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
Working with our directory ranked technology and privacy practice, we are seeking to recruit a motivated Associate in London who will assist the wider team nationally. The successful candidate will be trained and qualified in a leading private practice firm, either a national firm or niche IT/IP practice. However are also willing to consider in-house candidates who have trained at a recognised firm. We can offer access to high-quality work from clients operating across a variety of sectors including global technology clients and high street retailers. We offer direct client contact and look to our associates to win the trust of these clients by focusing on excellence in client delivery. Our clients include many of the biggest names from Silicon Valley and the Far East. We are also recognised for the innovative work we do in the banking, insurance and retail sectors. Our technology and commercial department is strong enough to mean that whilst there is an element of corporate support with the role, this is very much a small proportion of what we do.
We provide a supportive and collegiate working environment within a well established Technology and Privacy practice and team of a dynamic, fast-growing Top 20 firm. We will look at candidates who have upwards of 4 years' qualified experience and offer genuine opportunities for career development. The nature of our clients means we need an associate who can grasp difficult issues quickly and are prepared to think laterally.
The successful candidate will undertake a wide range of non-contentious technology and privacy practice including:
• IT agreements (software licences, maintenance, escrow, SaaS, hosting arrangements, reseller, open-source etc.)
• E-commerce issues
• Data protection
• B2C issues including distance selling regulations/consumer rights legislation
• Outsourcing agreements
• Distribution agreements
• Agency agreements
• Supply agreements
• Competition Law
• Strong academics from a well regarded university
• A genuine enthusiasm for the law
• Excellent drafting skills and first-rate technical knowledge are a pre-requisite for this role.
• Experience of providing Commercial/IT/IP/Privacy advice to global companies.
• Cross sector experience would be advantageous but not essential.
Whilst support will be provided, the applicants must be able to work independently and have experience of effectively supervising junior members of the team. The role is based in London but a willingness to travel would be required. Our approach as a team is to treat our associates as adults. We offer the flexibility of agile working, support with business development and interesting secondments to the right candidate.
Main function of job:
To deliver expertise within area of specialty, contributing actively to practice area targets and assessing risk where necessary. To coach and delegate as required and manage client expectations to ensure high levels of service delivery both internally and externally.
a. Responsible to: Partner
b. Liaison with: All levels of employees within the Commercial team, Corporate & Banking Practice Group, DWF and clients.
1. Maintain an understanding of the latest developments in relevant field of expertise and regularly update skills in addition to and outside of the CPD process.
2. Be accountable for individual and team financial management ensuring a pro-active approach is taken to meeting individual and team targets.
3. Raise individual profile and that of DWF LLP through coverage in the legal press and DWF promotional material, assisting to maximise own revenue with existing clients through the introduction of clients to other practice groups where applicable.
4. Support others to deliver their objectives, giving relevant guidance and assisting in relevant development for the individual/s when necessary.
5. To look outside of the Firm for new ways of working and seek to continually challenge and improve internal working practices through the professional application of skills and knowledge.
6. Develop strong internal and external working relationships based on trust and respect, ensuring there is regular communication within the practice group and with the external client.
7. Understand the relevant marketplace and identify what opportunities and risks exist and how DWF can exploit or prepare for them.
8. Maintain visibility and accessibility across the team and manage client relationships during delivery of service.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles/ to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.
To apply, please click 'apply now' and provide the job reference number: 28625/SH.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Sam Houghton on Sam.Houghton@dwf.law.
No agency CVs will be accepted unless formally instructed on this specific role by the Recruitment Team.