Job Code: 28124/SH
Practice Area: Resolution Law
Recruitment Partner: Sam Houghton
We are one of Europe’s most innovative Law firms as voted by the Financial Times.
We have won numerous awards, including being independently ranked as 1 of the top employers for working families, as well as being in the top 2 law firms for employee satisfaction.
With offices nationwide and overseas, we are growing and are looking for top talent to come on board and be part of our success.
DWF are looking for a Paralegal to handle a caseload of uninsured loss recovery motor files within the ULR (Yellow) Team in Resolution Law.
Cases are referred by insurers and legal expense insurers where the core requirement for the team is to quantify, submit and recover the client's losses as swiftly and efficiently as possible.
Usually these losses will consist of policy excesses, potential hire or loss of use, occasional loss of profit.
This is a new role where the primary and immediate need is to assess claims where liability has been denied and/or quantum has been disputed or the other side have failed to respond to a reasonable request for payment, and if satisfied that there are reasonable prospects of success then to litigate the case to successful conclusion.
Issues will by their nature involve the ability to work in an extremely organised manner skilfully utilising VF and Outlook diary systems and live file lists to ensure that evidence is provided by the client and submitted to the third party to ensure backwards are absolutely minimised. Determination to achieve a result and a proactive approach to keep matters moving will be required.
There will be a clear emphasis on proactivity and the need to close files swiftly where client response or engagement is not taking place or there are insufficient prospects of success.
It will be the handlers role to identify the key issues as to what the disputes are at the heart of the case. To address those issues and identify what evidence should be obtained to achieve a successful outcome at trial if necessary.
- The role will require a clear ability to work with and under the instruction of the unit team leader but with an organised VF focussed approach
- An ability to properly identify key issues at the heart of any dispute.
- Strong VF skills and the ability to process volume work swiftly
- To demonstrate an ability to communicate strongly and clearly with clients to obtain required information and to robustly give them advice as to the reality of the prospects
- To be able to deliver results within required time frames, managing cases and working to deadlines, obtaining the appropriate and detailed evidence whether lay or expert (in this case most likely engineers reports on Third party cover claims) and processing matters in a timely manner.
- To recognise areas of risk for the client, the funder and the firm and have the confidence to report them to the Team Leader or higher management as required
This role will be based in the ULR Team of Resolution Law in Liverpool.
Ideally some RTA insurance work background and experience, ideally from a claimant perspective.
- To litigate disputed or deadlocked ULR cases swiftly using the VF system
- To comply with court directions and timetable
- To handle litigation in a compliant, responsible way
- To utilise the various diary systems to ensure matters progress within the time frames demanded by the firm and the client
- Communicate with Team Leader as appropriate and necessary to feedback how matters progressing
- Achieve time recording targets split between chargeable and investment time in any one financial year;
- Achieve individual and actively assist in achieving unit financial targets in line with sales plan;
- Understand client requirements and manage cases in line with service level agreements and best practice;
- Prioritise work effectively and to maximise efficiency in working practices generally and specifically in relation to file case plan;
- Develop increased levels of technical and commercial knowledge via training or supervised working practices.
- Record disbursements and special damages onto VF system in all cases as required
- Ensure claim is properly quantified and damages potential maximised to achieve full recovery of potential liabilities from responsible insurer or third party
- Where a damages cheque and resolution cannot be obtained swiftly and within the required time frames to move the case swiftly and efficiently to litigation
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion at DWF
Nurturing talent is very important to us. We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work and business. We want people to achieve their best, which will positively impact on our clients and communities in which we live and work. At DWF we empower people to be themselves within an inclusive and supportive environment, enabling everyone to achieve their full potential in line with their abilities and career aspirations.
As an inclusive employer, DWF wants to see every candidate performing at their best. Please log in to Clear Talents at http://www.cleartalents.com/apply/allroles/ to tell us what reasonable adjustments you may need and to discover how we might improve your recruitment experience, examples of reasonable adjustments could include: additional time for exercises, a hearing induction loop, a request for information in an alternative format. DWF are committed to an ongoing programme of improvements to provide access to all.
To apply, please click 'apply now' and provide the job reference number 28124/SH.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email Sam Houghton on Sam.Houghton@dwf.law.