Our specialist environmental team has extensive experience (including in-house) in this area and we act for utilities, developers, landowners, construction companies, manufacturers, waste management operators, banks and housing associations providing legal environmental advice on a broad range of projects.
Examples of our work include:
- Defending criminal prosecutions relating to water pollution.
- Defending criminal prosecutions relating to waste packaging.
- Advising a construction and demolition company on legal requirements for recycling of ships in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Providing detailed advice on contaminated land issues for manufacturers and obtaining environmental insurance.
- Acting for a demolition company regarding a water pollution prosecution by the Environment Agency.
- Acting for a waste management company in relation to odour and disposal of waste issues.
- Acting for and advising Local Authorities and the Homes and Communities Agency in relation to contaminated land issues.
- Advising in connection with an investigation by the Environment Agency of a Distribution Network Operator in respect of deposits of lead based paint during steel tower refurbishment.
- Advising on threats of private prosecution in relation to the environmental enforcement regime, particularly deposits of waste on land.
- Advising on unlawful waste deposits by third parties on a client's land, including negotiating voluntary remedial actions to forestall enforcement action in cases where clean-up costs exceeded £1 million.
- Advising a national retailer on the producer responsibility for waste packaging regime, including liability for franchisee waste packaging, potential enforcement actions and the enforcement undertaking regime for self-reported settlements.
- Advising clients and carrying out due diligence in relation to the environmental permitting and enforcement regimes.
- Advising developers on trade effluent liabilities under the Water Resources Act 1991 and successfully achieving a result of no further action.
- Dealing with threats of prosecution by a local drainage board in connection with allegations of interference with the water course, successfully achieving a result of no further action.
- Advising on legal and regulatory obligations for transfer, retrieval and storage of radioactive substances in various jurisdictions around the World.
- Advising on definition of waste issues for an energy company and the potential impact of the Waste Incineration Directive and the Environmental Permitting Regulations.
- Acting for claimants in a Judicial Review claim on the Environment Agency’s hydropower policy.
- Providing Environmental Legislation Registers for companies to comply with ISO 14001 requirements-covering Contaminated Land, WEEE, RoHS, Waste Packaging and REACH.