Clearance website price comparison ASA complaint upheld
In a case involving catalogue trader Freemans, the Advertising Standards Authority has held that it must be made clear where the higher price has applied and substantiation provided to ASA if challenged.
Government competition plan published
HM Treasury has published a competition plan which includes support for a Which? campaign to simplify contract terms and conditions, plus potential for civil fines for exploitative conditions and a commitment to regulators using enforcement action as a last resort.
Childhood obesity under the microscope
- The parliamentary debate on the sugary drinks levy petition took place on 30 Nov.
- This was preceded by publication of the Health Select Committee report on childhood obesity – brave and bold action.
- The Government has committed to publish an obesity strategy before the end of the year.
Action on dietary trans fats moves closer
The EU Commission has adopted a report recommending regulating to restrict the presence of Trans Fats in food.
- Gambling Commission: Location of gaming machines - Closing date 22 February.
- Competition and Markets Authority: Protection of data in cloud storage - Closing date 15 January.
- Ofcom: Workplan 2016/17 - Closing date 26 February.
EU Technical Regulation:
- Authorising rescalure as a plant protection product. 2015/2198
- Amending annex 1 to 649/2012 on import/export of dangerous chemicals. 2015/2229
- Harmonising EU rules on casein and caseinates in Food. Directive 2015/2203