After four years in private practice I joined the legal department of the British Railways Board dealing with EL and PL claims. I became Assistant Claims Manager and was later appointed Operations Director of Railway Claims Limited. I returned to private practice in 1996 specialising in the handling of claims for train operating companies.
I have acted for a large number of train operating companies both in the handling of claims and in matters proceeding to litigation. My experience also includes:
- Handling personal injury claims from slip/trip claims to major injury and fatal accidents.
- Litigation claims from fast track low value claims to complex multi-party cases and proceedings in the Court of Appeal.
- Appearing regularly before the Rail Registrar and also in front of the Industry Committee in relation to cases where there are disputes between rail industry parties.
- Providing advice to rail companies and their insurers on the allocation of liability and the operation of the Claims Allocation and Handling Agreement.
- Claims handling advice and seminars, focusing particularly on issues relevant to train operators with a view to reducing their liability for claims.
- Acting for rail companies prosecuted for health and safety offences and also following environmental damage caused by rail operations.
- Pursuing claims for damage to rolling stock usually following line side incidents, such claims sometimes exceeding £500,000.
I have previously received mention in the Legal Experts’ directory upon the recommendation of rail clients.