Jonathan's practice covers multi-jurisdictional litigation and arbitration in the marine, non-marine and reinsurance sectors and matters as diverse as professional indemnity and D&O risks, shareholder and complex contractual disputes.
Jonathan acts for clients in the full range of commodities, shipping and commercial litigation involving, for example, port facilities, tankers, liquid cargoes and metals, and advises on contamination claims, sale of goods issues and cases arising from salvages. He also drafts a range of contracts including Storage Agreements and Terminal Usage Agreements.
The Legal 500 states,"DWF's shipping and commodities practice is led by the 'brilliant' Jonathan Moss."
Jonathan has been recommended in successive editions of the major legal directories since 2007. These publications describe him as "first rate" (The Legal 500, Insurance and Reinsurance), "maintaining a sterling international marine, commodity and insurance and reinsurance practice" (Chambers UK, Insurance and Reinsurance), "commercially minded" (The Legal 500, Shipping) and "a key player for commodity disputes" (The Legal 500: Finance: Physical Commodities).
He is visiting lecturer in International Shipping and International Insurance Law at Queen Mary University of London.
As Head of DWF's Transport sector, he specialises in working with companies involved in the shipping, aviation, rail, automotive and road transport and logistics sectors.
Jonathan is fluent in French and is listed counsel for the French Consulate in London.
Report: Delivering the Goods - Harnessing technology to drive the transport of the future
A technology revolution is upon us, but what does this mean for the world of transport? Technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, Blockchain and Electrical Energy and Storage have the potential to transform the sector, but what challenges do businesses face in adopting these technologies?
Video: Watch our panel discussion on the key technology challenges facing transport
- Scipion Active Trading Fund v Vallis Group Ltd (formerly Vallis Commodities Ltd)  EWHC 1451 (Comm)
- Kadie Kalma & ors v Tonkolili Iron Ore (SL) Ltd  EWHC 120 (QB)
- Stax Claimants v Bank of Nova Scotia Channel Islands Ltd & Ors, Court of Appeal - Chancery Division, February 01, 2007,  EWHC 143 (Ch)
- Papworth v Total Insurance Services Corporation Ltd  EWHC 2454 (QB)
- HMH v CECAR (Harding Maughan Hambly Ltd. –v- Compagnie Européenne De Courtage D’Assurances et de Réassurances S.A. and Assurances Des Investissements Internationaux S.A.) 1 Lloyd’s Rep. 316
- AIG Europe S.A. v. QBE International Insurance Ltd.  2 Lloyd's Rep. 268 QBD (Commercial Court)
- Defending a Sierra Leone based mining company in an action brought by 142 nationals surrounding allegations of common design, vicarious liability and negligence arising out of the mine’s alleged collusion with the local police who acted with unjustified violence during two public order incidents
- Acting for reinsurers in a dispute relating to the explosion in Tianjin Port, China, killing 114 people and damaging 6,000 vehicles
- Acting for international traders concerning the discharge of slops from a vessel, MV Probo Koala, in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, allegedly leading to the deaths of 17 people and injuring 30,000
- Representing international traders and cargo insurers in a claim arising out of a catastrophic explosion in an oil terminal in Johor Bahru, Malaysia
- Representing hull insurers following a collision involving a container vessel and crane in the Port of Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Advising cargo insurers on contaminated consignments of meat sold on the open market in the U.S.A.
- Advising insurers on disputes with coverholders
- Prosecuting an action on behalf of a food production company concerning intellectual property infringements and breach of confidence
- Advising a leading UK tyre company on breaches of the terms of Bills of Lading
- Defending luxury yacht builders against allegations of defective design and construction
- Defending scrap metal traders in an arbitration brought by manufacturers of iron and steel products concerning alleged contamination