On the corporate side, recent transactions include:
- advising Intelenet Global on the March 2016 transfer to Abellio Transport of the Scotrail customer contract centre in Fort William;
- advising Grahams the Family Dairy Limited on its 2015-2016 acquisitions of First Milk’s cottage-cheese/sour-cream business and Quothquan Farms and Mitchells Dairy;
- advising Capita plc on deals in 2015 and 2016 totalling over £400m including its acquisitions of Paypoint.net/Metacharge, Pervasive Limited, Sigma Seven, Constructionline (£35m), Updata Infrastructure (£80m) and Parking Eye (£57.5m);
- advising Chess Limited on its acquisition of Glasgow-based software design-specialist, IRW Systems Limited;
- advising Exova, one of the world’s leading testing, calibration and advisory services, on its acquisitions of Environmental Consultants Limited and Catalyst Environmental Limited; and
- advising the vendor shareholders of Europa Support Services (majority-owned by two private equity funds) on its sale to German engineering and services group, Bilfinger
On the sports side, I deal with a range of corporate and commercial matters for many sporting organisations. I have particular experience acting for clubs, companies and other professional organisations on constitutional issues, board and committee guidance, corporate governance and compliance matters as well as issues involving stakeholders (fans, shareholders, funders, community and sponsors).
Example sports experience includes:
- having been the principal adviser to Celtic FC for over 15 years, I advised on director duties, contract negotiations, FIFA/UEFA/SFA/SPL/SFL regulatory compliance, maintenance and amendments to articles of association, AGM attendance and related shareholder communications and all other matters of a constitutional or board/shareholder nature;
- as principal adviser to the Scottish Golf Union (the governing body for amateur golf in Scotland), I provide general advice on almost all aspects of its operation and have recently advised on all structural and procedural aspects of its historic March 2015 unanimous vote to merge with Scottish Ladies’ Golfing Association to create a new governing body for amateur golf in Scotland; and
- establishing the national governing body responsible for Team GB (golf) for the Olympic Games 2016, as required by the IOC and BOA.
Clients say that I am "an exceptional lawyer, very commercially focused, and excellent at debating and negotiating the key point."
Chambers and Legal 500 rank me as a "leading individual" in both corporate and sports specialisms with comments (2009–2016) including:
- “Paul is ‘an exceptional lawyer, very commercially focused and excellent at debating and negotiating the key point.’”
- “Paul is passionate about what we as a client do. He turns things around very quickly, gives top-quality advice and takes a pragmatic view, which is valuable for us.”
- Paul Pignatelli gathers praise for being 'responsive, practical and empathetic to our requirements; he is very good at explaining things to lay people who can be suspicious of change.'"
- Paul Pignatelli stands out for 'engaging with clients responsively, knowledgeably and thoughtfully.'
- Pignatelli has 'an excellent ability to identify key issues and find a commercial resolution.'
- Clients enthused about Paul Pignatelli as a lawyer who is 'absolutely spot-on, proactive and a great deal-doer.'
- "Very responsive and commercial"